Sunday, October 31, 2010

Healthy Snacks, Vegetarian Chili, and an 1,800 Calorie Slice of Cake?!?

Oh, I know I've been terribly neglectful!! But alas... I am back, and you shall not be disappointed.

Let's start with the snacks.  If you haven't already noticed, I LOVE apples, and I LOVE peanut butter.  The combination of the two is irresistible. The other night I had an Apple Crumb VitaTop with 1 TBSP of Better'n Peanut Butter.  To be perfectly honest, I would have rather just had an apple with peanut butter, but this combination was just another delicious way for me to play with my food. (2 WW Points)

 Yet another one of my favorite things to work with in the kitchen is cinnamon.  Here I have a banana cut into slices with cinnamon and 1 TBSP of Fat Free I Can't Believe It's Not Butter.  Melt the butter and drizzle it over the slices with cinnamon, then put the whole thing in the microwave for about 15 seconds, depending on how warm you want it.  (1-2 WW Points depending on the size of the banana.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been wanting to make Hungry Girl's Dan Good Chili for quite some time now, and today I finally got the chance.  There were A LOT of ingredients, and it took a while to do, but the recipe makes 10 servings!! That will last at least 2 or 3 days in my house.

This still isn't even ALL of the ingredients, but it's most of them.

The Vidalia Chop Wizard is one of the greatest kitchen tools ever invented. It easily saved me 20-30 minutes of chopping vegetables today.

The HUGE pot of beans, corn, carrots, onions, tomatoes, chili peppers, bell peppers, mushrooms, etc. that had to cook for about an hour and a half on low heat.

Mmmmm! 1 cup = 2 WW Points and extremely filling! My whole family loved it and went back for seconds.
All in all, this recipe required a good amount of time and effort (not to mention the grocery shopping required), but for a family of four, it was well worth it.  I would definitely make this again.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other day I saw a post on Twitter about something called a "Pumpple cake" - pumpkin pie baked into chocolate cake, apple pie baked into vanilla cake, and all held together with vanilla buttercream icing.  One slice has a whopping 1,800 calories, and the entire cake is 15 pounds and over a foot tall!


I would like to try a bite of each layer, but I'm not sure it's possible for one person to eat an entire slice.  The apple/vanilla combination sounds a bit more my style than the pumpkin/chocolate, but this creation is certainly the idea of someone else who loves to play with their food.  And that's something I can understand!

Thoughts on this masterpiece? Does this sound appealing to you? Would you like to try it?


Happy Eating!
- Steph =)


   

No comments:

Post a Comment