Saturday, May 7, 2011

How I Spent My Day Off...

How do you adequately celebrate the end of 17 years as a slave student?  With a day off - and I mean a day off from EVERYTHING.  A day off from school, a  day off from work, a day off from stress, a day off from drama, and a day off from counting calories.  Yes, a day without worrying about what you're eating at all.  Yes, I'll admit it - I spent a WHOLE DAY without worrying about a single nutrition label!!  And you know what - IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!

Observe:

Nonfat Chai Latte from "Starbucks" in Barnes & Noble - and a coffee crumb cake with a gooey cinnamon-ey filling.



Lemon shortbread cookie from "Starbucks" - I'll admit that by force of habit I looked at the nutrition label, and this wasn't even that bad (110 calories for a good sized cookie - it was about the length of my Blackberry)

I was REALLY craving chocolate so I picked up a 3-pack of Lindt's Milk Chocolate Truffles - once again, not even TOO bad for you (220 calories for 3 truffles).  If anyone knows about needing real decadent chocolate sometimes, it's me.  This will definitely hit the spot and satisfy any chocolate craving.

I bought a potato a few days ago planning to make fries in the oven, but instead I decided to use real oil and make real fries in the skillet.

I did put the fries on a paper towel so the excess oil would drip off, and of course I can never have too much ketchup!!!

My boyfriend & I went to see Fast Five so we got some soft-baked Pretzel Bites with cheese to snack on.  He always gets these when we go to the movies, and I always try to resist as much as possible, but this time I dove right in!

Since cookie dough ice cream never has enough cookie dough bits, I though I would try these. Um, not good at all! I could barely even taste the cookie dough because there was too much chocolate coating.

Then we went to Applebee's where I got my MUCHO-sized Mudslide - vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, and Kahlua with whipped cream on top.  A-MAZE-ING!

We got an appetizer of nachos but were highly disappointed so we barely ate half.  My boyfriend said they probably just emptied a bad of Tostitos on a plate and sprinkled some lettuce and tomato on top.

Then came the moment I had been waiting for all week - Applebee's Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae.  My favorite part is the warm chocolate chip cookie underneath all the ice cream.  Usually I push the ice cream off and make my boyfriend eat it, and I just have the cookie.  Whenever I have a reason to celebrate, this is usually how it happens.

(Dear Applebee's, This is how nachos are supposed to look!!!)  The next day (since we felt robbed of a good nachos experience) we went to Hooter's and had some Bud Lights with nachos.  These definitely look more greasy, but they were also much more satisfying.  The cheese, guacamole, and sour cream with real jalepenos, fresh lettuce, and tomato - Mmmm mmm!  I do have to add that we walked the 2 miles from my house to Hooter's and then the 2 miles back; so I only feel marginally guilty about a second day of indulgence.

The other day was my last college class ever, where I handed in my last college essay ever, and I will never have to take another midterm or final ever again.  And while I haven't officially graduated yet, I'm done with school forever!  Graduating college is certainly something that deserves celebration - and not a half-assed, semi-healthy celebration - but a full-fledged, full-fat, full-calorie celebration.  I initially thought of having a drink for every teacher who's ever made me angry, but I figured that would have never ended well.  This was a much more productive (and delicious) route to go.

Sorry if I tempted you with all these goodies, but it is important to treat yourself every now and then.  Indulge in something you're really craving, and don't pay attention to whether or not it's healthy.  ONE DAY OFF WILL NOT RUIN YOUR SUCCESS - I promise!  A few days of tracking what I eat and making good choices, and I'll be right back to my normal weight again.

So until next time... Happy Celebrating!!
- Steph =)


P.S. Do you use food as a way to celebrate a big event?  If so, what's your go-to choice?

No comments:

Post a Comment