Sunday, May 8, 2011

Fast Food Makeover: Nachos Appetizer - 240 calories, 5 PointsPlus

If you saw my last post here, you will recognize the following pictures:

Applebee's nacho appetizer
Hooter's nacho appetizer

My boyfriend & I went to Applebee's on Thursday, Hooter's on Friday, and on Saturday I was still craving nachos!!  So I decided to be innovative and come up with my own healthier version of the delicious appetizers we had.


Ingredients:
- 2 corn tortillas (ignore the fact that my pictures show 3 - I made extra for my mom)
- 1/3 cup Weight Watchers Mexican Style Cheese Blend
- 1/4 tsp. taco seasoning
-  6 tbsps. salsa
- 1/2 cup lettuce


Directions:

1) Cut each tortilla into 8 "chips."

2) Put "chips" in a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray.  Spray tops of chips with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle with salt.  Bake at 375 degrees for 4 minutes, flip, bake for another 3-4 minutes (until crispy).  *Warning: these will go from crispy to burnt very fast - so keep your eyes on them.*

3) Mix 1/4 tsp. taco seasoning mix with 1/3 cup cheese.

4) Arrange chips on a plate.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  Microwave for 20-30 seconds, until cheese is melted.

5) Top with lettuce and salsa.

I know that looks like a lot of salsa, but that's what makes it filling.  To be honest, I'm not sure if you could have this as a meal, but to me it was a great mid-afternoon snack.  If you don't happen to love salsa the way I do, then cut back a bit to whatever suits your taste.

Nutrition Info:
240 calories
6.5g fat
6.5g fiber
31g carbs
9.5 g protein
(5 PointsPlus)


So in case you haven't properly celebrated Cinco de Mayo yet, I would suggest giving this a try.

Until next time... Happy Eating!
- Steph =)

1 comment: