Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Yummy Things to Put on Toast

I know what you're thinking: "What a pointless post!"  But I promise reading this will be worth your time.

It all started with a simple craving for a few warmed up pieces of bread, but nothing to put on them.
(I like Arnold Bakery Light - a 2-slice serving is 2 PointsPlus)


Then I found, hiding in the back of my refrigerator - peanut butter.  Peanut butter on toast is so much better than peanut butter on bread - because when it's warm it melts in your mouth.  And eating the two slices separately, rather than having it as a sandwich, makes it last longer and you feel more satisfied.
(I use Better'n Peanut Butter - 2 tbsp. is just 2 PointsPlus!! So the two slices come out to a total of 4 PointsPlus.)


Then there's always the classic toast with butter:
 (I use Fat Free I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - 1 tbsp. is 0 PointsPlus, and 2 tbsp. is still 0 PointsPlus!! So the two slices with butter come to a total of 2 PointsPlus.)


My mom always used to make me her healthier homemade version of cinnamon bread - her version was just toast with butter and some cinnamon sugar.
I used the Fat Free ICBINB, cinnamon, and Splenda.  (I recommend mixing the cinnamon and Splenda together in a small bowl on the side and then sprinkling the mixture on the buttered toast, rather than sprinkling them separately.)  Once again, the two slices are only 2 PointsPlus.


Again, a classic - toast with jelly.
 (As you can see, I like to use Smucker's Sugar Free products - 1 tsbp. is 1 PointsPlus, and 2 tbsp. is still 1 PointsPlus. So the toast with jelly is a total of just 3 PointsPlus.)


One of my more recent discoveries is Laughing Cow Light Cheese Wedges. They are easy to spread, and therefore perfect to put on toast. I look at this as kind of a substitute for a bagel with cream cheese.
I used one Light Garlic & Herb wedge, and one Light Blue Cheese wedge. (The Light Creamy Swiss is also delicious, but I was out of those.)

One wedge is 1 PointsPlus, and 2 wedges is still 1 PointsPlus. And as you can see, I didn't even need all of the two wedges so you can use the rest to spread on apple slices or share with a friend. (Two slices and two wedges totals just 3 PointsPlus.)


And finally, last week my grandparents came to visit, and my mom and grandma made sausage and peppers.  Now I don't eat meat - so I'm not going to lie, I went and got pizza for me to have while everyone else ate their sausage.  But the next day when we had leftovers, it was weird because there was no sausage left - it was just roasted peppers and onions!!  I don't believe in "meat cooties" so I said, "What the hell. I'll have the leftover vegetables."  And since I have this new obsession with toast - why not put the vegetables on toast?!?
Since my grandmother drowned the vegetables in olive oil, I tried my best to blot as much of it off as possible, but the oil makes it taste better so I left some on.  Therefore, I would count the two topped slices as either 3 or 4 PointsPlus, depending on how much oil is used.  And once again, having two slices, rather than one sandwich, lasts twice as long and is twice as filling!


My obsession with toast has not gone away just yet, so maybe down the line I'll come up with more ideas, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with these ideas.  I've had each of them at least two or three times in the past two weeks.

So until next time... Happy Toasting!
- Steph =)


P.S. Didn't I tell you this would be worth reading? I bet you learned something you didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment