Maybe it was the trip to IHOP that my mom and I took about a month ago, but lately I've REALLY been craving french toast. It's one of those things that for some reason always makes me feel like a little kid again, and it warms my heart (and fills my tummy too!!) So this past weekend I decided to try to come up with a slimmed-down version this feel-good food. It's 2 slices of toast, 1/4 cup of syrup, and scrambled eggs all for only 4 PointsPlus!!
- 2 slices of Arnold Bakery Light 100% Whole Wheat Bread (you can use another kind if you'd like, but the PointsPlus may change - 2 slices of this bread are only 2 PointsPlus)
- 1 tbsp Fat Free I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- 1/2 cup of fat free egg substitute
- ground cinnamon
- 2 packets of Splenda (or the artificial sweetener of your choice)
- 1/4 cup of Mrs. Butterworth's Sugar Free Maple Syrup (1/4 cup for only 1 PointsPlus!)
|1) Melt 1 tbsp of ICBINB in a medium/large skillet. (You can use nonstick spray if you'd prefer. Feel free to use real butter or margarine and adjust the PointsPlus accordingly.)|
|2) Measure 1/2 cup of egg substitute.|
|3) Divide the 1/2 cup in two 1/4-cup servings.|
|4) Add cinnamon and Splenda to one of the 1/4-cup servings. Stir well.|
|5) Pour the other 1/4-cup serving into a mug. Add salt and pepper if desired. Microwave for 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for another minute or two. Your eggs are done!|
|6) Toast 2 slices of bread on the lowest setting for about 30 seconds. The point is to make the bread just stiff enough that it doesn't get soggy when placed in the egg.|
|7) SLOWLY pour the cinnamon-Splenda-egg mixture on a plate. Lay each piece of toast in the egg mixture for just a few seconds on each side.|
|8) Cook egg-coated toast in skillet for a few minutes on each side, until slightly browned.|
9) Since I like to have warm syrup, I measured out 1/4 cup and put it in a tiny pudding cup to microwave for about 30 seconds.
TAH-DA!! All done... wasn't that easy? The toast, syrup, and egg mug all together add up to only 4 PointsPlus, and I had a banana on the side to help fill me up. But let me tell you - this was absolutely delicious, and I would definitely make it again!!
Until next time... Happy eating,